PELAGIC NEWS UPDATE NO 7 - 22 MARCH 2004
Pelagic Australis has completed her two flagship Antarctic projects and is now on charter in the Beagle Channel bound for Punta Arenas. See
www.breaking-the-ice.de for the historic union of Israelis and Palestinians in the Antarctic on board both Pelagic Australis and Pelagic during January.
www.sailantarctic.com details our voyage into the Weddell Sea with Magnus Olson’s Swedish team to visit the 3 historic sites of the 1903 Nordenskjold Expedition. We were the only vessel to have reached Snow Hill Island this season and we believe the only sailing vessel to have done so since 1903!
FUTURE EXPEDITIONS AND CRUISES ON OFFER ABOARD PELAGIC AUSTRALIS
1. SIX THOUSAND MILES AND AN EQUATOR CROSSING - DELIVERY TRIP FROM PUERTO WILLIAMS TO THE UK Two places remain available!! Departure is now set for April 21st from Puerto Williams for this long haul delivery back to the UK. Pelagic Australis will sail from the Beagle Channel in Tierra del Fuego to the UK via Brazil, Cape Verdes and the Azores. This six week ocean passage is ideal for gaining sea time for RYA qualifications. Pelagic Australis has now been recognized as a training center by the RYA and we are authorized by them to teach the Yachtmaster Offshore and the Yachtmaster Ocean shore based syllabi. Cost including course materials is 3500 GBP.
2. PELAGIC AUSTRALIS ‘OPEN HOUSE’ IN SOUTHAMPTON during the first two weeks in June. Groups or individuals who are interested in visiting the vessel and discussing possible itineraries are welcome to book a time with Skip Novak – send him an email on email@example.com
3. PELAGIC IN THE NORTH ATLANTIC AND ARCTIC In the summer of 2004 Pelagic Expeditions will be offering charters in the Northern Hemisphere on the new Pelagic Australis. Planned itinerary includes:
Scottish Western Isles Whisky Cruise June 20 to 3 July
Ullapool to Tromso including Lofoten Islands possibly via Trondheim for crew change July 1 to 15
Spitzbergen July 18 to 29 SOLD OUT
Sptizbergen August 1 to 15 SOLD OUT
It is also possible for crew to take part in the entire voyage from Southampton to Tromso or parts thereof.
Cost will be 300 EUROS per person per day for Scotland and Norway. For Spitzbergen cost will be 400 EUROS per person per day.
Itineraries and logistics are now on the web site for these cruises in Programmes, but we are ready to book trips on a one off custom basis. e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest prior to that anytime.
4. SOUTH GEORGIA In October and November 2004 we are planning two 21 day expeditions to South Georgia starting from and returning to Stanley in the Falkland Islands, for a maximum of eight guests.
The theme of both of these voyages will be ‘Expedition Photography in the Field’ and lead by international experts in the discipline. The emphasis will be on ‘tricks of the trade’ in a remote and difficult picture taking environment. Everyone has a camera right? However, this trip is also suitable for someone who hasn’t as we will be visiting the most spectacular points of interest on the island with respect to the wildlife and landscape.
October 9 to 30 2004 New Zealand polar and high mountain photographer Colin Monteath will lead this early season expedition. Highlights will be observing the bull elephant seals battling each other for the harems on the wild beaches of South Georgia – a spectacle happening only at this time of year. Colin, a veteran of the New Zealand Antarctic program and mountain guide has been south almost every year for the last 23. He has been to South Georgia many times and has lead the Shackleton Traverse. Learn how to take dramatic pictures with ‘Monty’ when its blowing 50 knots in a snow squall! To see his work and impressive bio go
November 6 to 27 2004 The American Chris Rainier will lead the second expedition. Chris Rainier is one of the leading adventure and cultural photographers working today. As a National Geographic Society photographer and lecturer, he has photographed around the globe. He has traveled to Antarctica over five times, as well photographed on expeditions to the North Pole, New Guinea, Tibet, and the center of the Sahara Desert for numerous magazines and books. Respected as an outgoing and informative teacher, Chris will work with photographers night and day on the expedition to insure they will get the most out of their experience in South Georgia. Using the latest technology and Pelagic Australis’ spacious main salon we will be able to review photographs onboard, and critique images during the Expedition, insuring participants will get the most out of their adventure!! Go
www.chrisrainier.com for more information on his activities.
Cost will be 12,000 EUR per person or by negotiation for group charters. Please register your interest and e-mail email@example.com
Click here for details of these expeditions
5. FALKLAND ISLANDS Due to the success of the Falklands Cruise we will be repeating Wildlife and War from December 4 to December 18th lead by Ewen Southby-Tailyour. Cost will be 3500 GBP per person.
6. ANTARCTIC PENINSULA 2005 In January and February of 2005 we have two 21 day expeditions planned to the Antarctic Peninsula for a maximum of eight guests.
Both expeditions will leave from Ushuaia (Argentina) or Puerto Williams (Chile) on the Beagle Channel.
December 31 2004 to January 20 2005 This 21 day expedition cruise gives the best overview of the Antarctic Peninsula. Highlights include the wildlife (humpback whales guaranteed), plenty of ice and the most superb maritime mountain scenery going. Visits to scientific stations are also a feature.
January 30 to February 20 2005 Geared for climbers and their guides, this expedition has the aim of climbing both Mt. Scott and Mt. Shackleton on the Antarctic Peninsula, two of the most aesthetic summits in the maritime sector of the continent. Suitable for ski mountaineers these mountains also have technical routes that can satisfy the most ambitious climbers.
Click dates for itineraries and logistics of these two expeditions.
Cost will be 12,000 EUR per person or by negotiation for group charters. Please register your interest and email firstname.lastname@example.org
7. TIERRA DEL FUEGO AND CAPE HORN 2005 A classic cruise of the area, this repeats our itinerary of March of this year. Provisonal date for this two week cruise is March 5th 2005, leaving from Ushuaia or Puerto Williams. Cost 5600 EUROS per person.
8. DELIVERY NORTH TO THE UK 2005 End of March 2005 start for a repeat of our April delivery to the UK with the possibility to study for the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore and Ocean tickets and gain more than the required sea miles and experience. Email Skip Novak on email@example.com for details.
As always the original Pelagic will be available for custom charters anywhere in the Pelagic World based from Southern South America. Guideline price is 1500 EUROS per day for the vessel or by negotiation.
To stay abreast of what is happening at Pelagic Expeditions please register for our monthly updates of news and opportunities to sail with us either as a group or individual. See our contact section
“We are not getting any younger . . . . “